Sunday, February 6, 2011

NaBloPoMo ~ Feb 6th, 2011

From my initial post on the definition of character:
                                       5. reputation: a stain on one's character.
So, I thought I would share a time when....well....I was lacking character.

Once upon a time, in 10th grade English class there was a boy who sat behind me named M.  Annoying is a mild term, this guy drive me completely nuts.  He was always touching, asking to borrow stuff, wanting to copy, etc, etc, etc.  I tolerated him for quite some time but one day I had just had enough.  He pulled my hair, not hard mind you, but just enough to send me careening over the edge.  I promptly turned around and punched him square in the nose, thinking this will put a stop to him bugging me.  Well, it did stop...as he bled all over the place and Mrs. S marched me down to the office.  At the time, I had NO REMORSE, the guy had it coming.  Even after sitting in Saturday detention for several Saturdays (swooning over Coach Brown) I still did not regret what I did.

For the remaining 3 years of high school he would look down when I passed him in the hall, I was given the nickname "Scrappy", people blew the whole thing out of proportion and for a little while...I was kinda cool.  

Looking back, being a mother of little boys, who constantly do things that drive me batty, I wish I had handled it differently.  I wish I had understood that the guy just wanted someone to talk to, hang out with, whatever.  But in high school, in my opinion, we are all trying so hard to BE SOMEBODY that a reputation, good or bad, is better than no reputation at all.

 

1 comment:

anita said...

what is it about 10th grade girls punching boys? i got suspended for a couple days over that black eye i gave him.

Post a Comment