Wednesday, February 2, 2011

NaBloPoMo ~ Feb 2nd, 2011

Character....when I see this word for me the image of furniture that has been used, loved, worn and maybe even abused a little comes to mind.  I am an absolute sucker for previously loved things, especially of the wood variety.  Anyone that has ever been to my home can attest to the fact that there is VERY LITTLE in my home that lacks "character".  I will admit that the character is less Pottery Barnish than I would like and much more thrift~store~Craigslistesqe but hey some character is better than none right?

A few examples of the character around my house:

My dining room table belonged to a grandparent of a dear friend~college roomie.  It is a perfect table in my opinion.  It seats two couples and some kidlets quite comfortably.  It is nice but no too nice.   It so boldly provided a workspace for several bug collections, chemistry study sessions and still proudly shows the telltale marks of a few intense games of quarters.  It is WOOD.  It has little indention where our firstborn smashed the wring end of the fork into the table for fun.  

Our headboard, which is actually an old door that we stripped (at least 75 coats) of paint off of.  It took forever to get it just right.  Believe me when I tell you my "just right" may not be up to par with yours but I love it all the same.

Our kitchen cabinets are painted this odd turquoise-ish color.  It is not a color I would have ever chosen (or been bold enough to try) it is certainly not mainstream but it makes me smile. It seems playful...which is needed in a room that I spend way too much time in.

Nothing...and I mean NOTHING matches in our house but every piece has a story and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Are you surrounded by character.....or not so much??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree y'alls house has a lot of character, I love it!
The constant zooming around of the plasma cars adds something to it too. :)

Post a Comment