Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tornado Marathon

On the 27th of April, our community was struck by a string of tornadoes that left a huge path of destruction across the area.  Thankfully our home was spared but many we not so lucky.  Many power lines and substations were completely obliterated so we were without power for 5 days.  Thankfully, we are campers and stockpilers, we had cooking capabilities, plenty of propane and an abundance of food.   We lucked into a couple of defunct generators a year or so ago that W used to create one functioning one so we were able to keep both fridges and both deep freezers running as well as charge phones, laptops and gaming toys for ourselves as well as the neighbors.

A few observations I made during our house-camping adventure.

1) Little boys LOVE flashlights and are under the impression that it being dark is not a prerequisite for their use.
2) While I still don't think I am high maintenance, I do LOVE my microwave, hot water heater and dishwasher.  I am not sure love is a strong enough word but lust seems silly when talking about appliances.
3) We thoroughly enjoyed our 5 whole days together, I am truly blessed by all the boys that are in my life.
4)  4 nights might be too long to go between baths.
5)  I need to start stocking up on batteries.
6)  Our new picnic table is the perfect size....for us and 2 other families.

No comments:

Post a Comment