Monday, August 2, 2010

Riding the Potty Train...oh yeah!!

After trying and stopping , and trying and stopping, and trying and stopping....you get the point. 3 weeks ago IT TOOK. Everyone kept telling me it would click and it did!!! I am excited, for so many reasons, buying diapers for two was getting ridiculously expensive, Kimber trying to "help" when I changed Matt was comical...kind of, Matthew's need to "see poop" when changing Kimber...well...not so comical.

So my firstborn is now streaking around the house in underwear which is cute but bittersweet. I catch myself still thinking it is weird to hear the toilet seat going up or down when Willie is not home. I bought him some boxer briefs last week and after seeing his little booty in them really just wanted to return them immediately, he looked at least 5 in them and I am SO NOT READY for that!!

Tee-Tee was our first step and wasn't too awful hard. Poo-Poo was the part I dreaded. See Matthew is a "pacer". Some kids hide and poop, some kids sit and grunt, my kid performs a fast pace to get the job done. For months I have been baffled at how I would get him to stay still to poop when he has been pacing to poop for nearly 2 years. We came up with the idea of a PUSH PRESENT and we let Matthew pick out a big Buzz Lightyear at the store with the understanding that he would not get it until he pooped in the potty. We put it up within his line of sight but way out of his reach. After church on Sunday he kept asking for a diaper to poop. Every time he asked I took him to the Buzz Lightyear and reiterated the fact that if he pooped in the potty he could get Buzz down, well it worked!!!! I was thrilled, who knew I would be this excited about another person's bowel movements.

Once again, parenthood is never what you expect it to be, much harder and more rewarding than anyone ever lets on!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

woo hoo! Go Matthew!

Post a Comment