Thursday, September 1, 2011

A perspective shift

We just got back from a 10-day excursion to Texas, to visit family and friends.  I had an epiphany...or rather several mini-epiphanies during the course of this journey.

1)  I will always be a TEXAN at heart but this is the first time it didn't feel like home.  Yes, our families are all there but this time I truly felt like a visitor and not a resident.  It is kind of sad but not all at the same time.

2)  Travel is just as hard on kiddos as it is parents.  Both my guys, who are usually pretty good kids had trouble adjusting.  Exhaustion, jacked up sleeping schedules and Pop Tarts among other things were to blame.

3)  I know this next statement will require me to relinquish any sense of cool I still have left.  I would TOTALLY DRIVE A MINIVAN.  Not joking.  Due to a mess made by the rental car folks we ended up in a Chrysler Town and Country minivan during the course of our journey.  This van was amazing, doors that opened themselves, kids could get into the vehicle and their seats on their own, doors shut at the push of one of the THREE buttons utilized for door opening, the CAVERNOUS space, the DVD player....15 million cupholders, have I mentioned there was A LOT of space?  I admit, my dream mom-car has always been a wagon but I can see the appeal of a minivan...finally.

4) I have lived in TEXAS, Louisiana, Arizona and Alabama.  While I get that none of these states are cool climates, I had no CLUE how mild our north Alabama weather was until this visit.  I mean 114 degrees is hot, hot, hot no matter how you slice it!

5)  Traffic, construction, traffic, construction.  We spent so many years commuting in Texas that I kind of already knew this but every major thoroughfare has major construction happening.  635-check, 183-check, 35-check, 121-check,  I am thankful that we are in a smaller town that literally has no traffic issues to speak of.  Don't tell the people here yet, they think we have traffic...but truly...we DON'T!


A few pictures of our busy trip:























1 comment:

d e v a n said...

Ah, those little mesquite trees look familiar! It really is ridiculous how hot it gets there. It was over 110 every day we were there in June! HOT!
And, yes, minivans are awesome. I'll never go back. (not that I could - there's not much that holds 4 car seats)

Post a Comment