Friday, January 15, 2010

Things I'll Miss.... Chapter One

This will be an ongoing post as I am sure I will be bombarded with these things over the next several years....

While rocking with Matthew after naptime today, while Kimber was peacefully snoozing on the couch, I realized how fleeting these moments are. Since becoming a SAHM I have struggled with a number of things but I have consciously tried to cherish all of these little moments that I will not get back. That is much easier said than done as there always seems to be something else demanding my attention.

1) Rocking with my babies.
Matthew is a snuggler and I hope Kimber will be too. I think my favorite times during the course of the day is when Matthew first wakes up and comes to me and says "Mama rock?". While the actual rocking generally lasts less than 10 minutes it is truly rejuvenating for me.

2) "Choo Choo"
While some days where it seems like all I have accomplished is building train tracks, putting up train tracks, stepping on train tracks, finding train tracks in the bathroom, etc there will come a day when this little boy will not ask me to play choo choo with him.

3) The endless laundry....
Okay, so I might not actually miss this but it still brings a smile to my face when I am hanging up newborn clothes, toddler clothes and adult clothes. Someday, there won't be cute little clothes tumbling around in my dryer...or in piles on the floor.

4) Such willing help
I think Matthew pushes a chair into the kitchen no less than 5 times on a typical day. The boy loves to help and while I catch myself getting irritated with flour on the floor and him adding salt to things that don't need it, again, this will pass.

5) Sweet smiles
I completely melt every single time Kimber smiles at me with that huge dimply grin of his. It is absolutely the best feeling in the world to evoke such a reaction and makes so many of the sacrifices worthwhile. I know later in life it will take a lot more than attention from me to get such a sweet reaction.

1 comment:

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

i spent a lot of time building train tracks, too. now that those days are over, i miss them so much!

Post a Comment